EDEM can be coupled with multi-body dynamics software RecurDyn from FunctionBay to optimize the design of heavy equipment such as excavators, ploughs and off-road vehicles.
Combining EDEM with RecurDyn allows engineers to introduce realistic bulk material behaviors to their multi-body dynamics simulations, and offers engineers unrivalled insight into how material loads are transferred throughout a mechanical system.
During a co-simulation with RecurDyn, EDEM calculates the bulk material forces and torques acting on equipment during machine operation. These equipment loads are then passed to RecurDyn where equipment motion and response to the bulk material is simulated. RecurDyn then returns the new velocity and position of the equipment to EDEM and the co-simulation process continues to the next synchronization point.
- Increased design accuracy
- Greater insight into equipment performance
- Less reliance on hand calculations and approximation
- Reduction in expensive physical prototyping
- Designs can be tested virtually for a wide range of manoeuvres and materials types
The EDEM-RecurDyn coupling can be applied to many different applications including:
- Off-road construction & forestry machinery: wheel loaders, hydraulic excavators, backhoe loaders, tracked vehicles, multi-terrain bucket loaders
- Mining Machinery: long-wall miners, shearers, drag line excavators
- Agricultural machinery: tillage implements, grain harvesters, screw auger discharge
- Chemical and Pharmaceutical: mixing, coating, handling equipment
- Vehicle handling: tracked vehicles, tire-soil interactions