Engineers designing heavy equipment are challenged on a daily basis by the variability and complex nature of the materials that their machine will face.
EDEM software brings the benefits of Discrete Element Method (DEM) simulation to the heavy equipment manufacturing industry as a tool that uniquely simulates and analyzes the behavior of bulk materials such as coal, ores, soils and grains.
EDEM provides engineers with crucial engineering insight into how materials will interact with their equipment during a range of operating conditions.
By introducing EDEM simulation and analysis into their design workflow, equipment manufacturers are significantly reducing their reliance on assumption and physical prototyping and are able to increase the productivity and reliability of their equipment by understanding how a material will affect their designs.
Fewer physical prototypes, shorter design cycles, increased equipment productivity and equipment performance.
Dump Truck Bodies
- Analyze loading and discharge performance
- Reduce load cycle, body mass and fuel usage
- Identify wear zones
- Get accurate loads to use for Finite Element Analysis
Excavators & Diggers
- Accurate prediction of forces acting on equipment
- Compare force on bucket for different materials
- Identify risk of spillage and areas prone to wear
- Couple with Multibody dynamics for force feedback
- Model grab and iron ore interaction
- Determine optimal fill level
- Compare different shell shapes
- Increase payload
- Speed unloading process up
Combine Harvesters: Screw Augers
- Investigate screw auger forces and torques
- Predict auger crop flow properties
- Quantify grain handling system capacity and power requirements
- Measure performance of the system
Combine Harvesters: Grain Sieving
- Simulate grain sieving process
- Analyze sieving throughput
- Test different operating conditions of the sieve
- Optimize system efficiency
Tractors & Tillage Equipment
- Model machine-soil interaction
- Get accurate forces exerted on machine
- Couple with Multibody dynamics to include dynamic response of equipment
- Test new designs with a range of materials
Learn more about our award winning EDEM Software.
Employing EDEM software at CNH has allowed for an accelerated pace of machinery development to more fully understand crop-machine and soil-machine interactions. The unprecedented level of model customization that can be achieved through the EDEM API allows us to obtain the results we need to drive product innovation at CNH.
We use EDEM to observe and analyze the flow of coal from the (truck) body at discharge. EDEM Analysis also allows us to check the dynamic loading on the truck chassis as it dumps, and we extract other useful information, such as data for estimating wear.